Part 2: 40 Advent Activities That Your Children Will Love
Are you looking for some new ways for your family to observe Advent this holiday season? If so, you are in the right place. I have 40 fun and simple Advent activities that your family will enjoy.
First off, Advent is such a wonderful time of year. I love watching my kids wake up each morning excitedly running over to our Advent calendar to see the surprise of the day. Sometimes they find treats, but other days they get cards telling them about something special we will be doing together as a family. Christmas season is so magical when you are a child.
Now that your Advent calendar is in place, it is time to add some fun activities to your countdown. These activities can be handwritten on special paper or printed on computer paper. You get to decide the design, how creative you would like to get, and how to best incorporate each activity into your celebration.
40 Advent Activities
Here is the list of activities that I put together. Please feel free to use some of these ideas or adapt them to variations that fit your family better.
- Have a family game night
- Make hot chocolate and marshmallows
- Take a bath with glow sticks
- Watch a Christmas movie together
- Make paper snowflakes
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Package and deliver cookies for neighbors and friends
- Have a paper snowball fight
- Eat candy canes
- Read Christmas stories
- Name something that you are grateful for
- Build a gingerbread house
- Make a Christmas ornament together
- Donate old clothes and toys
- Make a paper Christmas tree
- Pop popcorn and watch The Grinch
- Go ice skating
- Name something you love about each family member
- Put cookies and carrots out for Santa and his reindeer
- Make Christmas cards for friends and family
- Volunteer at a nonprofit organization
- Go to a tree farm to cut down a tree
- Decorate the Christmas tree
- Craft seasonal designs using Perler beads
- Go on a winter nature hike
- Adopt a family to buy presents for
- Read a devotional or scripture together
- Make a nativity scene out of clay or playdough
- Cook snowman pancakes with toppings
- Go Christmas caroling with friends
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights
- Have a glowstick dance party
- Donate to a food pantry
- Go on a Christmas scavenger hunt
- Build a snowman or go sled riding
- Host a Christmas party
- Build a fire and roast marshmallows
- Attend your town or city’s Christmas tree lighting
- Set up a tent and camp out by the Christmas tree
Whew! There you have it. 40 Advent calendar activities. Certainly, this list is a great place to begin with plenty of ideas to choose from.
Next, you may want to include some gifts or treats with your Advent calendar. No worries. I have compiled a list of budget-friendly ideas to help you with your shopping. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular items that kids of all ages will enjoy.
Can you add any other Advent calendar activities to the list?
What are some of your favorites?
I would love to hear from you in the comments below.